WHO NEEDS 10 FINGERS?





This site is for information, support and questions for any parent of a child missing digits.


Welcome to the wonderful world of being a parent to a child born not whole, but still so very perfect. The life of a child born or with an aquired limb difference is a path that is full of ups and downs.

I am a very fortunate Mom to a son born in 2003 with bilateral symbractydactyly (his right thumb is his only complete digit). He also has clinodactyly of both pinkies. He was diagnosed while I was still pregnant, but that didn't make the journey any more easy.



Tuesday, May 18, 2010

You might notice that I've been (slowly) working on adding links to Mikey's page. One of them that holds a very special place in my heart is for the X Finger. From their main website page, Didrick Medical, this is an incredible explaination of this most needed advancement:
"The X-Finger® is the world’s first active-function artificial finger assembly designed specifically for partial finger amputees.".

I came across the X Finger by sheer luck. Mikey and I were at the 2009 War Amps seminar and in one of our meeting groups with other kids with a similar defect to Mikey's, one mom mentioned the X Finger. I was completely absorbed in learning more, because at this point, there is no form of functioning prosthetic fingers. I shot off an email to "the company" just to inquire more information. Since that July, I have been honored to call Dan Didrick my friend. At this point however, X Finger is not available for pediatric patients. But...Dan has made it a personal goal to see that this changes! You need to check out the website (also linked to the picture on the left side bar), or by clicking here -> http://www.didrickmedical.com/didrick/ . Dan and his crew were also the first place winners in The Perfect Pitch 2009! Currently they are working on securing funding & I am so very hopeful that everyone will see the need for this. As a mom to a bilateral symby child, being told that really there is no option by means of prosthetics is very heartbreaking. Especially when you don't know how your child's function will be. Yes, we are very blessed that even with the severity of Mikey's defect he is very highly functioning and at this point has never had a fine motor skill delay, we also know that there are certain things that may arise that could change this for him.

Please, take the time to just visit Didrick Medical's site, I am more than sure that you will be impressed.

Till next time...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this info! I'm going to bookmark the page for future reference.

    And thanks for commenting on my post! We're in Ontario. We've never gone to a War Amps seminar because our son is just 3 months old. We're going to go the first chance we get though! I hope our son will get a lot out of being apart of the CHAMP community.

    It's funny that you should mention Nemo! It's one of our daughter's favourite movies! I hadn't thought of the connection to symby kids, but you're right, it has a great message for them.

    All the best to you and your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete